Sunday 15 July 2012

My first attempt at the caviar manicure

OK so I have been in awe of the new trend and have been searching high and low for micro beads. I have had not luck anywhere locally, mostly I was met with a "mirco wha???" accompanied by an unattractive snarl from the craft store attendants. So I scrounged the beads and found some tiny glass beads to have a run with. Yes I know I could have ordered them online but i'm a I want it and I want it now kind of girl.

I painted my nails a nude colour first. I applied one coat of OPI's Samoan sands and let it dry completely.
 


I let the first coast dry completely and then got a small bowl, and the container I had stored the beads in ready to go. 
One nail at a time i applied a second liberal coat of the polish, and instantly poured the beads directly onto the nail over the bowl to catch the spare beads.

Mill Hill Petite glass beads - OPI samoan sand

After the nail was covered I gently patted the beads to make sure they were all stuck I also had to flick a few off from around the cuticle area.
As soon as the first nail was finished I was tempted to remove it and give the whole "caviar Manicure " thing the flick, It looked like crap to me but hubby and the kids loved it so I persevered.

I did the same steps with all ten nails, I was still really unhappy with them. Maybe it is my anal retentiveness and my need to have nice smooth nails, it may just have been that the beads are not as small as the micro beads and gave the manicure to much volume, I don't know but I was not sold.

To add insult to injury Hubby and I were going out last night and i had to get him to help me get dressed, I know crazy right... The outfit I had picked out required fishnet tights and i couldn't manage them with the beads.
It kept getting worse we went to a dear friends place for dinner and ribs were on the menu, so yummy but finger food was not a great combination with my nails either... I think I swallowed about 10 beads.


I will order some micro beads and give this another try but at the moment the Caviar Manicure is not for me what do you think of my attempt?? Is it something you would try??














6 comments:

  1. Would this work with 100's and 1000's too? A snack for later! Great first attempt I reckon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey stranger good to here from you, hahaha until the ants set in

      Delete
  2. Personally this is not a look I would try. I'm one of those crazy women that love the glass feel of my painted nails for exactly that reason, they're as smooth as glass. Having beads on would drive me nuts. And completely unsuitable for my work situation, and who the hell would go through so much effort just for a weekend mani? Not this little time poor ducky. For the record, I hated the crackle fad due to the asymmetry of the look. I think I'm ocd when it comes to my nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that was the thing that bothered me the most apart from the messy look of it, I had to take it off as soon as I got home. I also was not a fan of the crackle. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

      Delete
  3. didn't love it either my dear, but love the original colour..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes samoan sand is a favourite of mine I will be doing a nail look during the week with it and a navy french tip keep an eye out. Thanks for your support xx

      Delete